Monday 18 February 2013

Evolution

I have three children. All three happen to be female and two happen to be the same age and all are individual. And they are so vulnerable at their current age. None of them are old enough to start school yet. They are exploding with vocabulary and ideas and open to everything. They ask where food comes from and can pinpoint the difference between vegan and non-vegan food with a clarity that most adults struggle with.
     Squidge.
     Is it a word? Best I could find was that a squidge is: to make a squelching noise.
     Of all the amazing things I have heard from these three children and all the mature ideas they have come out with and all the lengthy sentences they have erected, this word screams evolution to me. Now I am not bignoting my youngest child as some sort of future human. But she scooped out too much rice onto her spoon when eating tonight's curry and described it as a big squidge of rice.
     Onomatopoeic I reckon.
     And it is not a word I have used in that context. Nor would have her sisters. She came out with it because it seemed right.
     That is what amazed me. I have no doubts or fears of any of the three children at the dinner table tonight outshining me. Probably even sooner than I think. It shows creativity and confidence. And now humanity is done with the grand signs of evolution, I think this sort of thing is the way we evolve from now on.
     By grand signs I mean going from quadrupedal locomotion to bipedal or increasing brain size. If someone was born with a tremendously greater brain cavity and the brain matter to fill it most people would probably look at it with a form of disgust. If a congenitally one-legged person managed to propel him or herself with significantly greater efficiency we would probably try to expel them from elite athletics because they are cheating.
     Evolution is now down to ideas and thoughts and that squidge of rice said to me that my kids will be fine.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment